Monday, June 22, 2009

Finding Serenity in the Chaos: So You Think You Can Dance Episode #9

We open with Mia’s very stylistic dance to “Higher Ground”. Is that Brandon, shoved in the back, in the shadows? Mmm hmmm. The dancers are costumed in black suits, and it’s hard to tell guys from girls. It’s an interesting routine. Ugh, but when Cat thanks Mia for the routine, Mia just makes weird faces and crab hands. Accept praise with grace, Mia!!! Also, Cat keeps exposing her bra, and I don’t think it’s intentional. Nigel looks spiffy.

The producers have pulled together “Lil’ C’s Dictionary of Dance”, highlighting some of his more florid language from last night’s critiques. Gems such as “The primary focus of all obstacles is to induce labor so progression can be born.” “ You are modifying your manipulation of movement” and “find serenity in the chaos” are shown. You want to know what? That last one is a pretty good idea! I think I need a poster of that in my office!! 

Our first three couples to learn their fate are Melissa and Ade, Caitlyn and Jason, and Philip and Jeanine. Melissa and Ade learn they are safe. Interesting! I think it’s a crapshoot as to which of the remaining couples will be in the bottom. And the first couple in the bottom three is…Caitlyn and Jason. Mary says they just didn’t have that spark last night, but they are both good. Cat asks them if they are going to “leave their bit all on the stage” when they dance for their lives. Hee! May we all leave our bits all on the stage, every day. 

Our next three couples are Jeanette and Brandon, Jonathan and Karla, and Kupono and Ashley. I doubt Brandon and Jeanette are in trouble. I think they are in a sweet spot right now. They are both really strong dancers, and people are still feeling a little defensive of Brandon because of the Mia hate. They can knock it out of the ballpark, but people will still vote, because they won’t think they are totally safe. I do have to point out that Lil’ C, who was not a fan of Brandon’s in Vegas, loved his performance last night. And how could you not!!! Anywho they are safe, as are Jonathan and Karla. Okay, after watching the replay, I totally stand corrected. That was really good. They are explosively delighted when they hear they are safe this week, which warms my heart. Kupono and Ashley will dance for their lives. 

Our last three couples hear their results. First up are Randi and Evan, and the producers have a surprise for Evan. They show his brother Ryan’s Season 6 audition from last week in Los Angeles. He’s even better than he was this season! And of course he made it through to Vegas. Evan looks absolutely delighted; SO cute! Cat also looks thrilled and confesses she “cried like a big idiot. “ I think this is why I want Cat to be my BFF, she is so genuine and just nice!! Oh, and Evan and Randi are safe. Oscar and Vitolio look very nervous, and they should, because it’s between them and Kayla and Max. But they are also safe, which means …Kayla and Max are dancing for their lives!?!?!?! What??? Kayla looks like she’s going to throw up. Nigel says he’s shocked, but wonders if the audience thought the routine was too esoteric and alienating. 

Nigel notes how stunning Cat looks, prompting Cat to thank him, and mention her boyfriend will be very happy. A side note: I watched this on TiVo later in the evening, because I was driving back from an incredible dance concert by a local studio while it was on. When I called my hubby on the way home, maybe the third thing out of his mouth was “And Becca, Cat Deeley has a boyfriend!” He said this in the same mildly disappointed tone that he gets when I forget to bake him brownies after I’ve promised. Do you blame him? She’s so cute! 

Our special guest is doing traditional Indian dance. It’s beautiful. I want me some of those ankle bracelets! 

Solo time. Caitlyn is first. She reminds me of Courtney from last season—pretty, good, but not remarkable. Jason does beautifully, I think. But is he just doing the same movement over and over? Ashley is next. She looks kind of chicagoesque. I liked her routine; it was different. Kupono dances. He’s wearing the necklaces. Will they hit him in the face? No they don’t. Cat says, “You can’t go home yet! I want to see more of their outfits!” Me too! Kayla shows us exactly why she’s so good. Cat notes that she doesn’t think she’s seen anyone look as nervous as Kayla’s grandparents. Max busts a move to footloose. I love! Chase Crawford, are you going to be able to top that? Methinks not!!!.

Now someone—Christine Debarge (maybe?? I missed the name) is performing. She is totally lip-synching. I am not buying for one single second that she’s actually singing this song. She does a slow pageant wave at the end. I don’t like, but then again, I didn’t like Lady Gaga when she was on the show last year. And now I can’t get enough of her. 

Nigel tells us that they don’t want to cut anyone. I don’t want them to, either! I swear, they made up rules as they went along in Vegas. Can’t they do that now, too?? The girls learn their fate first, and Kayla looks like she’s about to burst into tears. The judges tell Caitlyn she had great control, Ashley didn’t do enough for her solo, and that Kayla’s solo was too crowded. Way to get all Goldilocks about it, judges! Ashley goes home, and I think that’s the right call.

Nigel tells Jason his solo is the best one on the show to date, and he’s safe. Kupono is told that he had no substance, but they like that he’s a different, intelligent dancer. His breathing is really labored. I’m kind of concerned he’s about to flip out. Max is told that he’s the hardest worker, but the person leaving us is…Max. WHAT??? That is BS!!!! He did a great job last night! And they are such a good couple!!! Oh, I am miffed. 

Until next week, y’all!!! I’m hoping for some justice in this world!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment